Saturday, January 9, 2010

PJD How To - Links & Targets

8 comments
As a web designer I have a few rules that I fastidiously stick to in the midst of a project and one of those is using a _blank target when linking an "outside" URL. Greek? Let me explain. An internal link is when you link to a page that is within your domain.  Think of it as an inner door.  You are staying within your house so it is ok to have just standard links. Yet, when you link outside of your internet home...linking to another site or a form (something that does not have your navigation) you don't won't to loose your visitors right? You want them to keep reading your post, so you use a _blank target to "Pop Out" a new page instead of loading the page on the same page.  Therefor keeping your page open and also letting them see the new page.  When they close the link that you directed them to, there is your page still! Yeah, you didn't lose your visitor.

Here is how to do this.  It requires a bit of HTML.  You need to be able to distinguish the link tag.  Here is an example:



That code will just load the page in the same page as the link. This is the link that blogger does automatically when you hit the link. Now to make it "Pop" a link out you have to add a target.



It is that simple. Usually I just copy target="_blank" and make my links in blogger and then I go back and paste it after the URL to make my life easier. This is a really good practice to get in to so you can keep your visitors on your page.

If you have any questions, leave a comment!

8 Responses so far.

  1. Good post. Did you receive my email requesting a quote? I haven't heard back.

  2. +JMJ+

    So that's how it's done! Thanks for the tip! =)

  3. Thanks for the tip. I'd forgotten how to do that!

  4. Hmm. Thanks for explaining - it's easier that I imagined.

  5. Great tip - I just used it and it worked!

  6. Kristen says:

    Thank you so much!!! I'm definitely going to be using this from now on!!! :))

  7. i cant do it.. Do you do it differently if you're changing the link from Photobucket to my blog? Confused

Leave a Reply

Thanks for commenting!

Labels

 
Parajunkee Design © 2011 DheTemplate.com & Main Blogger. Supported by Makeityourring Diamond Engagement Rings

Graphics by Parajunkee Design